Regulations of the Paying of the Deposit

Article 36 of the current Law on Urban Leasing (Law 29/1994 of 24th November) establishes that it is obligatory to provide a deposit in cash at the time of the entering into the town property leasing agreement, this being of an amount equivalent to one monthly instalment in the case of housing or two monthly instalments in the case of a lease with a use other than housing (premises or business).

Law 9/2010 of 30th August on the right to housing of the Region of Castilla y León (Official Bulletin of Castilla y León number 173 of 7th September 2010) has regulated since 8th November 2010 the OBLIGATION on the part of the lessors and sub-lessors to make available to the Administration of the neighbours’ association the amount of the aforementioned deposits.

In Castilla y León the Chambers of Urban Property, non-profit-making associations of social interest, are in charge of the administration of the collection of the deposits pertaining to the leases, the amounts of which are paid quarterly to the Regional Government of Castilla y León and transferred to its treasury account for compliance by the authorities with the objectives of the encouraging and developing of the housing policies in this Autonomous Region. The duties of the Chambers of Urban Property are not merely restricted to collection; they are also responsible for informing lessors of the appropriate procedures for compliance with this obligation, and also for facilitating the process as far as possible, if appropriate certifying and attesting the existence of the registered agreement and its deposit.

The existence of the deposit constitutes a guarantee for the lessor of compliance with the obligations deriving from the agreement (as a general rule damages to the house). In the case of the leasing of buildings located in the province of Salamanca, the deposit must be paid at the offices of the Chamber of Urban Property of Salamanca within a DEADLINE OF ONE MONTH from the date of entering into the agreement; you can consult the Chamber so as to obtain information on the most appropriate manner of doing so.